Spaghetti squash burritos are halves of roasted spaghetti squash stuffed with a Southwestern vegetarian garnish and melted cheese! Serve with your favorite burrito topping for a hearty vegetarian dinner for two.
For these bowls, we sautéed a small zucchini, a few pieces of pepper and some canned corn leftover for zucchini muffins made from corn bread.
To add protein and create a sauce, we also mixed half a can of black beans and a little roasted salsa in the fire.
If you have a fondness for nachos (who does not?), I recommend you prepare a batch of sweet potato nachos or vegetarian nachos to use the leftover peppers, beans and salsa.
FOR THE SPAGHETTI SQUASH:
- 1 small Spaghetti Squash, about 30 ounces or 1.8 lb whole
- 1/2 teaspoon Olive Oil
- Salt and Black Pepper
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 small Zucchini, diced
- Half a Bell Pepper, diced
- 1/4 Red Onion, diced
- 1/2 cup Corn Kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Cumin
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 3/4 cup cooked Black Beans
- 1/2 cup Salsa
- 2 ounces Cheese, shredded and divided
Cook The Squash:
- Adjust the cooking rack in your toaster oven (or oven) to the bottom position and preheat to 425 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or line with a silicone baking mat.
- Use a sharp knife to carefully stab the squash a few times on each side, then microwave 4 to 5 minutes. Watching out for steam, slice the squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Rub each half with oil and season well with salt and black pepper. Place squash on the pan and cook until fork tender, about 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the size of your squash.
- Remove squash from the oven and cool for at least 5 minutes. Then, scrape a fork along the flesh to create spaghetti-like strands (leave a little behind to keep the ‘bowl’ intact for stuffing later).
- While the squash cooks, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, zucchini, bell pepper, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently until the vegetables have softened, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat, add black beans and salsa. Stir well, taste, and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Add the loose spaghetti strands and half of the cheese to the skillet mixture, stir well. Load up the squash bowls with the filing and top with the remaining cheese.
Bake The Bowls:
- Bake uncovered in a 350 degree toaster oven for 10 minutes until warmed through and melty.
- Then Broil for 1 to 2 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and browned.
- Serve warm with your favorite burrito toppings.