These golden brown broccoli donuts make a delicious dinner or vegetarian lunch – and the kids love them too! Ready in less than 30 minutes.
These basic broccoli donuts are one of my favorite ways to enjoy broccoli. Tasty, tender and healthy, they go perfectly with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt to make a hearty vegetarian meal.
These broccoli donuts can be fried or baked. Both options are excellent and give excellent results. Personally, I choose to fry when I’m in a hurry and cook when I know that my 2 year old is going to eat them. Of course, the frying will give the donuts a slightly better crust, but it will require the use of more oil and it will make them a little less healthy. If you choose to cook them, do not forget to preheat the oven and a frying pan (or baking dish) so that they do not stick. I like to use my cast iron stove for cooking and frying.
- 1 lb. steamed broccoli florets
- 2 jumbo eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 tbsp. flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Bring a medium-sized pot of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli florets and cook them just until they are fork-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the broccoli well and transfer them to a cutting board. Using a large, sharp knife, cut them into very small pieces.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the chopped broccoli, eggs, Parmesan, flour, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir until well combined.
- Place a cast iron or non-stick pan over medium heat until hot. Add the oil and swirl to coat the pan (a non-stick pan needs less oil). Scoop out 2- to 3-tablespoon mounds of the broccoli mixture into the pan, flattening the mounds slightly with a spatula and spacing them about one inch apart.
- Cook the fritters for 2 to 3 minutes, flip them once, and cook them for an additional 1 to 2 minutes until they’re golden brown and cooked through. (*See recipe note below for baking instructions).
- Serve warm with yogurt or sour cream.